The precise history of the successive chorister schools associated with Winchester Cathedral is unknown, but some scholars have linked them to the Alta Schola, established in Winchester around 676 AD.
It is clear that schools for the Cathedral Choristers have been in or near the Close since Saxon times, and have played an important part in the development of education within Winchester and beyond. The Pilgrims' carries on this important tradition.
The School moved to the present site in 1931. The main building, redesigned by Sir Christopher Wren in the 17th Century, is on the site of a former Roman villa, and includes a medieval hall and barn.
The Quiristers, founded in 1383 as an integral part of Winchester College, became part of The Pilgrims' in 1966.
The recently completed new quadrangle blends easily and sympathetically with the medieval halls and other historic houses of the Close. The site is walled and secure, and one of the most beautiful and inspiring settings imaginable.