The Pilgrims' School and its predecessor establishments have played an important part in the educational history of Winchester Cathedral since Saxon times.
Its lineage can be traced back through the schools associated with the Cathedral Choir at least to the Alta Schola, established around 676AD. The Pilgrims' School carries on this tradition today.
The school moved to its present site in 1931 and became a preparatory school for choirsters nd non-choristers alike, with the purpose of allowing each to benefit from the talents of the other,
The main building was redesigned in the 17th century and sits on the site of former Roman and medieval buildings. The Pilgrims' Hall, attached to the school is visited by tourists who come from far and wide to see its magnificent hammer-beam roof, most likely constructed in the first half of the14th century.
In 1966, the Quiristers of Winchester College Chapel Choir became an integral part of The Pilgrims' School and are still educated here today.
Our Pre-Preparatory opened in 2007.