Former Choristers visit Pilgrims'
It is always wonderful to welcome Old Pilgrims' back to the school, but to see in seven former Choristers on Saturday was a delight!
Some of these OPs we've seen recently, some not since they left in 95/96. They all joined us with rich and interesting stories of their time both during and after Pilgrims'. Tales of pipe climbing, 'pig' tables and previous masters brought their childhood antics back to life.
- Stephen Barton, a British composer who currently lives and works in Los Angeles, recently commissioned the Choristers for an exciting project (yet to be released!) at Abbey Road Studios and plans are afoot to work with him again in the new year.
- Chris Hill is a composer, producer, songwriter and session bassist for Van Morrison and Jamie Cullum, amongst others, and might be recognised as the son of the choral singing teacher, Hilary Jones and former Choirmaster David Hill.
- Peter Milmer had been back recently for an Old Boys event but was full of joy to be reliving tales of his youth amongst friends. Peter followed his passion for medicine and is currently a practising GP in the West Country.
- Some years after leaving Pilgrims' Jules Knight joined with another former Pilgrim, Ollie Baines, to form Blake, a vocal group that, amongst their accolades, recorded a number one album in the UK Classical Album Chart. Jules has since pursued a career in acting.
- Nat Lippiett left Pilgrims' to attend The Westgate School, and on to working at the BBC. Having risen through the ranks at ITN he is now an Executive Producer with credits to his name such as Harry and Meghan: An African Journey and David Bowie: Starman.
- Gavin McCormick, bitten by the Classics bug at Pilgrims', has gone on to teach in London and is author of the Classics blog Ad Astra Per Mundum.
- Former Head Chorister, Richard Collins, saw his name on the leadership board in the Cathedral for the first time. Now Head of Programming at Royal Northern College of Music, Richard has worked in a variety of areas within the music industry since leaving education.
1995 was clearly a vintage year when friendships blossomed, and life was full of possibilities. An inspirational group of friends who have held both Pilgrims' and their shared love for music, dear to their hearts.
Emma Short, Registrar
l-r: Jules Knight, Richard Collins, Nat Lippiett, Peter Milmer, Gavin McCormick, Chris Hill, Stephen Barton